SEO: How Organic Search Results Work Using SEO
As a Michigan SEO Company. It’s important to understand how search engine optimization techniques and organic search results work when building a new website or updating an old one. Since Matt Cutts of Google released the Pengion 2.0 update, the different ways of driving traffic to your website have diversified and dramatically increased the impact of organic search results.
Organic search results are an outcome of using a specific kind of “white hat SEO” that produces natural placement on search engine results pages (SERPs). The first step in climbing the ranks on SERPs is understanding how search engines work. Since Google claims 67% of the search market share, it’s also very important to understand how they rank web pages.
Search engines use a number of different criteria to rank pages in terms of importance. Two of the biggest factors are keyword usage and linking.
- Keywords: The most important factor with keywords is how accurate they are and how often they are used. If a specific keyword is used too little or too much, the search engine might see it as “not natural” and put up a red flag. If it doesn’t encompass what your website is about, it will be less likely to show up in search results. Here’s a very helpful article that will help you choose the right keywords when creating content.
- Link Analysis: How many websites link back to your website? Does your website give straight-forward information that’s useful to others? The best way to achieve this is to link to other credible sites with hopes for a returned favor. The more links using your site as a reference, the higher the PageRank. Seobook gives 101 ways to help build links to your website.
Certain “black hat” techniques have proven success in the SEO world, such as keyword and page stuffing, invisible text, redirecting visitors to a page they didn’t mean to click on,
and selling and farming links. Not only are these types of SEO techniques frowned upon, but they are also the exact thing that Matt Cutts and the rest of Google is trying to eliminate.
Before Google came out with the Panda and Penguin updates, SEO was an entirely different ball game. Obtaining high organic search results was much easier, and black hat spam techniques were optimal in maximizing traffic.
Webmasters would litter their web pages with keyword phrases hundreds of times over, which made it possible for anyone to climb the SERPs rankings instantly. Backlinking was also much easier and usually accomplished by the use of automated software that would place hundreds of Backlinks across the web in seconds.
What Google’s Panda (and eventually Penguin) update did was eliminate these “spammy” types of SEO techniques tech gurus used to exploit search engine crawlers. The result was thousands of web pages plummeting to the bottom of search results instantly. Some of the most major updates in Googles search algorithm were:
- Better hack-site detection software that communicates more efficiently with webmasters.
- A much more specific, thorough targeting of black hat web spam techniques used to increase sites’ PageRank.
- More in-depth analysis of the quality of links being built within and back to a website.
- More of a focus on the quality of content on the site and the credibility of the authors publishing on the site.
Out of all of these factors, the number of Backlinks to your web page has been deemed one of the most impactful. The more quality websites you have linking to yours, the higher your PageRank will be. The first step to doing this is by providing high-quality content that is useful and informative.
Another crucial element in increasing your PageRank is by being active on social media platforms and online discussion groups. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, and so on, are valuable tools in gaining awareness and traffic for your site. Online discussion groups gain buzz and are used to post Backlinks.
Some speculate that Google Analytics play a role in your website’s PageRank, such as your site’s bounce rate or traffic sources, but Matt Cutts says that is not the case.
Saad Asad of All Blogging Tips gives a simple overview of how to increase your website’s PageRank, which will ultimately lift it higher in organic search results and increase traffic.
- Produce high-quality content.
- Generate high-quality Backlinks by submitting your site to different directories, such as DMOZ, Yahoo Directory, and Article Base.
- Allow guest posting to attract user in the same niche as you and gain a stronger follower base.
- Create link exchanges with sites that have a higher PageRank than you.
- Keep your content fresh and up-to-date.
- Be interactive on other blogs and consistently comment and join in on the discussion. This is especially valuable for generating Backlinks.
- Always keep your website accessible. One visit when your website is down could result in a permanent loss of a follower.
- Use the most commonly searched keywords, tastefully. Not like this ( Michigan SEO Company )
- Use the right combination of paid and unpaid advertising.
- Create multiple pages on your website – this will make it easier for internal linking within web pages. Think of how easy it is to navigate around Wikipedia by clicking on internal links. This creates a more informative flow and adds to the credibility of your site as a source of information.
- Participate in legit and frequently updated forums,
- Use personal signatures to link back to your website and social media profiles.
Google is constantly transforming the way they rank web pages. They have made it clear that they’re focusing on providing search results that consist of more “natural” content; a result that gives the searcher high-quality, valuable information. The best way to adapt to these changes is to provide exactly what the search engines are looking for. High-quality, valuable content.
Your Michigan SEO Company!
As a leader in Michigan SEO Services. We understand that SEO is can be can be confusing. It’s like an invisible fence that you know it’s there, but you can’t see it or understand why it’s there. If your company is in need of a Michigan SEO Company. We are here to help. Contact one of our Michigan SEO expert if you’re needing Michigan SEO Services by a Michigan SEO Company.
Check out our blog 7 ways to up your Social Media Strategy